Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Lady in the Pink Mustang

I really enjoyed reading "The Lady in the Pink Mustang" by Louise Erdrich. I liked the fact that Erdrich was not afraid to be promiscuous or use risque words with this poem. One of the lines that stood out to me was "Painting her nipples silver for a show, she is thinking, you out there. What do you know." This line suggests to me that this "lady" is maybe a show girl or a stripper. It says she is thinking "you out there, what do you know?" and I think she is referring to the reader or maybe her customers/audience when she says "you". I like the fact that the author chose a pink mustang to be this lady's car. A pink car, to me, suggests that she is girly, proud, and different. The fact that the car is a mustang has some connotation to it as well. A mustang is fast, loud, envied, and seems promiscuous as a car. Also, you could extract the word "must" from mustang and that might have connotation. She does "shows" every night so maybe she is sweaty or musty. "The sun goes down for hours, taking more of her along than the night leaves with her" is a line that stands out to me. I inferred this to mean that she does more or works at night and after her work, "parts" of her are missing. The last line I want to discuss is "It is what she must face every time she is touched, the body disposable as cups." That line makes me feel really sad for her. I don't know if she is a showgirl or a prostitute, but I wonder if she likes this job or if she HAS to do it. I feel bad for her because men are taking advantage of her and body and disposing of her like a cup. All in all though I enjoyed reading this poem and I think the author gave good imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment